Each strand of hair that falls does not count as hair loss. There are about one hundred thousand hair follicles present over the scalp and around 90% of these follicles are active and strands of hair grow from them. The remaining 10% of follicles are either in transition or in resting phase. The strands of hair that falls out of follicle in resting or transition phase will be replenished when the follicle enters into active phase. Strands that fall off even from active follicle get replaced with equally healthy and thick hair.

However, in women suffering from hair loss either the lost strand is never replaced or the hair that grows out is thin and unhealthy. And when the same happens to a large number of hairs, it becomes noticeable and termed as hair loss. But for this to happen, it is also necessary that the rate of hair loss is more than normal loss rate of 80-100 hair per day. Moreover, even if the rate of loss is low but is continuous and unchecked, it is a strong sign of hair loss. And therefore, it is necessary that when the loss of hair is continuous, it is best to consult a hair loss treatment expert for assessing the causes of hair loss and relevant treatment.

Some of the most prominent causes of Female Pattern Baldness and treatment options are discussed below.

  • Female Pattern Baldness:This is a condition when DHT levels are higher than normal and they start acting with the androgens of the follicle. Such action causes the hair follicle to shrink and go dead. As per medical literature, Androgenetic Alopecia or the female pattern baldness impacts most number of women causing hair loss. However, contrary to men pattern baldness, in this case, women do not lose their hair line; rather diffused thinning across the scalp is observed.

Treatment: Rogaineis considered one of the best medications effective for women pattern baldness. It is applied directly over the scalp.

Women who have already tried Rogaine and found it unsuitable for their individual need can find a cure to this menace in Hair restoration surgery. In this process, DHT resistant hair follicles are extracted from donor site and are implanted over the recipient area.

  • Hormonal Changes/ Pregnancy/ Stress: In all of the three cases, it is the hormonal imbalance that triggers hair loss in women. In such cases the loss could be severe. Especially in case of pregnant women when there are numerous hormones with their varying levels keep acting over the body. However, if consulted an expert dermatologists in due time much of hair can be saved.

Treatment: Once the actual problem has been assessed by an expert hair loss doctor and the reasons of the triggered hair loss has been ascertained as a result of hormonal imbalance then medication can be prescribed to bring back certain hormones to their natural course and limit. In case of pregnant women, not many medicines can be prescribed and in most of the case there are no such requirements as it has been widely observed that after the child birth, the lost hair starts growing back, even without any medication. For those who are losing their hair to stress, it is high time to own Yoga and meditation.

  • Illness/Cancer: Several types of illness can cause hair loss. In case of cancer patient, more than the disease, the chemotherapy causes hair loss.

Treatment: There is no fixed treatment for such patients. Rather, it is best to keep yourself healthy and physically fit. If consulted a hair loss treatment surgeon, they advise the same. In both the cases of illness that triggers hair loss and chemotherapy causing hair fall; normal and healthy hair starts to grow once people get better and the illness or cancer has been cured.